Naples Addiction Recovery Programs
SMART Recovery stands for Self-Management for Addiction Recovery Training and is a SMART Recovery 4-Point Program used in rehab plans to help people with substance abuse and addiction problems. Since its founding in 1994, it has been used in many treatment protocols, like Naples addiction recovery programs, as part of a comprehensive treatment.
Each person regards recovery as his or her own personal quest. Self-empowerment is cultivated to manage substance abuse or abstinence. SMART Recovery approves of using a 12-step program, if the participant so chooses, because this is a self-directed and self-empowering choice. Take a step toward recovery by calling Naples drug rehab centers. Call (239) 687-3421 for more information.
What to Expect
In a SMART meeting, participants discuss controlling and abstaining from drugs, alcohol and other types of compulsive behaviors (called behavioral addictions), such as gambling, shopping, gaming, and overeating.
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program lists four focus points of concentration:
- Build and maintain motivation
- Learning how to cope with urges
- Learn how to manage thoughts, feelings and behaviors
- Living a balanced life
SMART teaches self-directed and self-empowering attitudes which include:
- Teaching to find one's own self-power and grow self-reliance.
- Attending educational, support and discussion sessions.
- Encourages people to have satisfying lives.
- Educates on methods for directing change from within.
- Supports the use of approved psychological treatments.
- Supports using prescribed psychiatric and addiction drugs.
- Considers abuse and addiction as complicated dysfunctional behaviors with possible physiological components involved.
- Scientific research about recovery is incorporated as it is revealed.
SMART Tools & Techniques
SMART Recovery 4-Point Program facilitators teach participants to understand and practice each tool. Reaching and maintaining Point #4 is obtaining lifestyle balance, so a satisfying and healthy life is sustained.
The "SMART Toolbox" is a collection of various methods, called tools, which help people work through the 4-Points:
- How change advances as stages progress
- A worksheet to plan the changes
- A worksheet to guide the decision making process
- Learning how to use behavioral tools to use to cope with urges
- Learning how to use behavioral tools to use to cope with emotional distress
- DISARM (Destructive Images and Self-talk Awareness & Refusal Method)
- Establishing a priority of values
- Anticipating scenarios that may occur
- Exercises to practice responses and reactions to these scenarios
- Unconditionally accepting oneself at all times, no exceptions
Treatment and aftercare rehab plans incorporating SMART as part of a comprehensive strategy adds one more effective treatment approach, while raising the probability a recovering person will stay sober.
There is hope for a better. Call addiction treatment centers in Naples, or visit your local Narcotics Anonymous (http://naflorida.org/meetings/) for more support.